On 27 June 2016, at the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, the Interdepartmental Research Centre on Discrimination and vulnerabilities, “CRID” (Centro di Ricerca Interdipartimentale su Discriminazioni e vulnerabilità) was established. It was promoted by the Department of Law, the Department of Engineering “Enzo Ferrari” and the Department of Economics “Marco Biagi”.
Arisen from the multiannual experience of the “Permanent Seminar on Theory of Law and Practical Philosophy” (Seminario Permanente di Teoria del diritto e Filosofia pratica), the Centre flows from the requirement of comparing methods and techniques of study liable to adopt a multidisciplinary and multilevel approach to issues concerning various forms of discrimination and vulnerabilities.
Taking Article 2 of Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948) seriously, the activities of the Centre are placed over the eight research areas which match the most widespread “human vulnerabilities”, conceived as “the other side of the coin” of human rights, as much as starting points in order to prevent and counter the different forms of discrimination.
In particular, by means of an intersectional method, the Centre investigates issues related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic features, childhood and old age, ethnicity and nationality, religious and socio-political sphere in local backgrounds, as well as national, European and, more broadly, global backgrounds.
Among the main activities of CRID worth of being pointed out:
1. the development of European projects, research and education projects nationwide and at a local level;
2. the fulfilment of seminars, dialogues, conferences and laboratories, workshops, education trainings, even on an international scale, between scholars and experts, engaging institutions, associations and citizens, besides students;
3. the making of an operative and informative online portal;
4. the setting-up of a both national and international scholars and researchers web liable to carry out education and consultancy on the issues concerning discriminations and vulnerabilities;
5. the building-up of modules of public policies assessment, composed of experts, in order to cooperate with the institutions in the field of active politics of social promotion of minorities and that of the countering of behaviours and practices against vulnerable and discriminated subjects;
6. the put-out of studies on the above-mentioned issues; the development of academic works; the printing of interviews to international class standards experts; the cataloguing of bibliographic works of interest at the Documentation Centre on discrimination and vulnerabilities;
7. the management of a historical-legal archive, likely to act as the essential background of research activities;
8. the development of laboratorial activities addressed to schools of all types and levels.
For further information and contacts: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of CRID is Professor Gianfrancesco Zanetti (Department of Law).
Members of the Executive Council are: Professor Tindara Addabbo (Department of Economics “Marco Biagi”), Professor Michele Colajanni (Department of Engineering “Enzo Ferrari”), Professor Thomas Casadei (Department of Law).